12.15.2013

# Books # gift guide

Holiday Chat 2013 Decorations & Gift Book Guide


I had all of these grand plans to do a number of holiday-themed videos on the Daily Connoisseur this year and then, lo and behold, the holidays crept up quicker than I anticipated! I must have been distracted working on the second book, which I am happy to report, was just turned in to my editor, Trish Todd, at Simon & Schuster. Woo hoo!

So this week's video, Holiday Chat, discusses two topics to make up for lost time. First we talk about high and low budget decorating. I show you my citrus fruit ornaments that I did a tutorial on last year, and introduce you to my favorite decoration, my Kay Burkart Santa Claus... a true work of art!



**Update- Many people have asked where I purchased my Kay Burkart Santa. I purchased him locally from Stephanie Grace Designs in Santa Monica.

The video also gives you my top gift book recommendations. I love receiving books as presents and you are sure to find something for everyone on my list.

Books mentioned in the video are:

♦︎Downton Tabby by Chris Kelly (This book is SO FUNNY. It would make a perfect stocking stuffer.)

♦︎The Perfectly Imperfect Home by Deborah Needleman (and illustrated by Lessons from Madame Chic artist, Virginia Johnson.)

♦︎A Life of Barbara Stanwyck Steel True: 1907-1940 by Victoria Wilson (Perfect for anyone who loves the Golden Age of Hollywood.)

♦︎The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (One of the most delightful series of books ever written, in my humble opinion.)

♦︎The Untethered Soul by Michael A. Singer (This is the next book club selection for the Daily Connoisseur, so I want you to read this too!)

♦︎Lessons from Madame Chic by Jennifer L. Scott (C'mon, you know I had to include this in the gift guide.)

♦︎Taste of Home Christmas 465 recipes for a merry holiday (Fabulous holiday recipes... would make a great gift!)

Check out this week's video for the full chat. If you are unable to see the video above, click here, look in the sidebar of this blog, or check out my channel: www.youtube.com/TheDailyConnoisseur

Book News

Lessons from Madame Chic makes Martine Holston's 2013 book list as her top French lifestyle book of the year (and she read 5 in the same genre). Thank you Martine! Check out the list here.

Visit my Author Website

Like my Facebook Page

Follow me on Twitter

Sign up for my Seasonal Author Newsletter

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful video and guide, loved it!!!

Little Miss Know-it-all said...

I'm sure you would enjoy Alexander McCall-Smith's other series, too - Scotland Street and Sunday Philosophers in particular! He writes with such elegant and perceptive style :)

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Thank you Laura!

Little Miss- I read all of his other series, they are fantastic!

Unknown said...

Just wanted to say that I read Madame Chic yesterday, and loved the philosophies you took with you from Paris. I am a newcomer to the blog and look forward to delving into it further.

I also thought I'd share my winter capsule wardrobe for anyone who's interested. There are still certain items that I'd love to add, but I am happy with the items I have, too! I'm a web designer, so I made a webpage to display my capsule wardrobe:

http://entice-design.com/wardrobe/winter-2013/index.html

Unknown said...

Can't wait to make those orange decorations next year! I'm adding A Life of Barbara Stanwyck Steel True to my 2014 list. Have you read Lunch in Paris? I'd bet you'd love it! Happy holidays!